Thursday, June 24, 2010

Paris!

Paris!
What a rush, trying to cram everything into 2 days! I've been to Paris before but it was jut as amzin to me the second. I've heard people talk about the rude people and dirty streets, and I still don't understand. Maybe it's different for the people who have studied French for so many years and finally seeing some of the focal points of study ( like the Eiffel Tower). The feeling I have when I see the Eiffel Tower, is like a huge goal in my life accomplished. And this time I could see the same feelings in everyone I was with too. 
This trip to Paris included a couple of "firsts" for me. It was my first time riding the TGV ( which a super fast train), my first time staying in a hostel and my first time at the Musee d'Orsay. 
The train was...fast, it was a three hour ride from Chambery to Paris. The hostel was much better then I imagined it would be. It was clean, I was in a room ( that locked) with 3 other girls that are in my summer program, there was a place to ge Internet and a bar with a tv ( to watch the world cup of course). The Musee d'Orsay was...Amazing! Last time I was in Paris I wanted to see it because it's a museum of impressionist art, and that's my favorite, but I didn't get to. It definitely lived up to my expectations! Monet is my favorite artist and they had a room full of his work, and I could of stayed there for hours. I was so overwhelmed by the beauty of it and the feeling that I was surrounded by a great artists work, I am not ashamed to say, I cried. Every time I think about what I'm actually doing ( studying and living in France) I can't help but thank God for how blessed I am.
Aside from the Musee d'Orsay, I saw the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, some of the Louvre, Sacre Coeur, and Notre Dame. Some notes on those experiences: I climbed to the second "floor" of the Eiffel Tower, which is about 25 flights of stairs. That was the first night we were in Paris and we got off the metro and I recognized where we were and I got extremely excited and ran around the corner of the building and there it was directly in front of me, and then I got to watch everyone I was with as they turned the corner and saw it also. That's a moment I would never take back. 
My favorite sight in Paris is the Sacre Coeur, it was still as amazing this time as it was the first time. We went there first thing in the morning on sunday and there was no one there.
After Sacre Coeur, we went to this amazing church. It was held in a night club which was pretty funny to me, but Gods work can be done anywhere. And the church was amazing! They sang worship songs in both French and English and the message was about fear ( which is something I need to be reassured in). 
The whole Paris experience was amazing!  

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great trip! I have always wanted to go to those same places, especally after having studied them through high school and college. I hope to see hem all next year when I go to France. Glad you are having an amazing time; and glad you updated your blog. You know us non-facebookers need to know what's going on too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I felt like I was with you. Thank you for describing it so well. It makes you want to go and see everything as you are seeing them. Also very happy you have some great friends to share it with.
    We pray for you every night.
    Love,
    Nana

    ReplyDelete